Friday, June 28, 2013

Panello of Pittsburgh, more than just another option for Steel City

I discovered Panello, a small but purposeful boutique in what is referred to as "Lower Lawrenceville" at the behest of a great (and stylish) friend. This said friend knew that I was on a quest for an amazing boutique to feed the craving of individual style that I had missed since moving from DC. That's not to say there haven't been amazing options elsewhere. In fact, Pittsburgh next to Baltimore, MD (sorry DC, a lot of your consignment and vintage stores are way over priced with the exception of one said store which is still selfishly a secret of mine) is a haven for fantastic second hand styling. Panello was a joy, a relief, a fantastic surprise all wrapped up in a frenzied hour of trying on items, touching fabric, and stacking bangles. I tried on different pieces and declared this is a boutique everyone needs to know about. The owner, Cara Moody who's first store is better known as the South Side Gem, JUPE was kind enough to have me style clothes from her collection and grant me a short interview. You can find her comprehensive bio here at http://www.jupeboutique.com/aboutus.asp .


Amanda Lewis: What inspired you to travel to Paris to study fashion?
Cara Moody: I had spent the previous summer in Italy and fell in love with Europe,  An opportunity approached me with a study abroad program in Paris which I then decided to complete my fashion design background there.

AL: What was your first treasured fashion piece including clothing or accessories?
CM: hmm.... I have had so many its hard to really remember my first but I would have to say my Yellow racing sweater with red panel insert, high collar with zipper.  I found it in NYC on a trip I went there with my dad when I was 14.  I think I still have that sweater I wore them with thick leggings


AL: How old were you when you first began cultivating your personal style, and would you say you have a defined style?
CM: I would say 7th grade, I think I was the first kid in my school to stop pegging my jeans


AL: Why was it important for you to open an affordable and accessible boutique with great pieces in Pittsburgh? Why not work in NY or Paris or Milan?
CM:    I had a job in Paris after college pattern making  for a small Spanish designer  Irenena Gregory, at that point I had already spent 2 years in Paris and decided to move to NYC where I continued my career in fashion as a Stylist for Sharagano a french company.  I worked there for 2 years and decided to move back to Pittsburgh. NYC  can be overwhelming and draining over time at least it was for me.  Truthfully, I don't think that I would have been able to open stores in any large city without have a million bucks and Pittsburgh is affordable. 7 years ago when I opened Jupe there were only a few boutiques.  I wanted affordable since I was also on a budget.    


AL: With the success of Jupe Boutique, your sister store  in the South-side of Pittsburgh, why open another store, and why Lawrenceville?
CM:    I had a lot of people tell me that they loved my store but never make it to the South-side which is typical Pittsburgh.  I was looking to expand and searching for the right location.  Lawrencville is growing so much and when this space became available the owner of Pavement (another fantastic boutique) contacted me.  As soon as I saw the space it sang to me and it felt just like Jupe.


AL: What is the message you'd like to convey to people outside of Pittsburgh about Pittsburgh fashion?
CM:   Pittsburgh does lack a little in the fashion department but this is a city that is rapidly growing and each neighborhood is unique in its own way 


AL: Do you carry any local designers?
CM:  I carry 2 really, Mike Hickey who makes vintage jewelry and Nami Holderman with Zeto clothing. She used to own APT in the South-side.

Here are the outfits I put together during the Amanda Styles You styling and photo session. Thanks to another awesomely stylish and talented friend of mine, Carrie Thovson for the photo's. I don't know if you can tell, but this was a great time!!!



Ark &co snow leopard blouse $62
FT flare pant $56
Urban expression patent clutch sale $38 

RDI stripe knit $58
level 99 shorts $94
Dolce Vita bone sandal $64 

Zeto floral sundress $136
oval statement necklace $32
Dolce Vita brown suede booties on sale $94



No comments:

Post a Comment