Friday, March 29, 2013

Black and White and Patterns all over


Continuing with my mission to get the women of Pittsburgh to step outside their pattern box I wanted to offer some easy tips on how wade in the shallow end of the patterned pool. The water feels great, you just have to give it time, and adjust. Black and white patterns are the easiest to wear and style. The number one rule I teach my clients is decide what the main color is in the pattern and style from there. Patterns are statements in themselves so any accessories should be used sparingly or to enhance the pattern. If the pattern is in the top, wear a statement shoe and either a great pair of stand out earrings, or a simple necklace and simpler earrings. If the pattern is in the pant, then you can do more with the accessories up top. Maybe even going for that beautiful scarf you've been trying to find a reason to wear or a fabulous cocktail ring. I say the bigger the better. Mixing patterns has always been a trend on the runways, and many designers have encouraged the look for everyday wear. I believe in practicing what you preach and it has been so much fun mixing patterns and creating the wow factor with a great cardigan and a pair of fun pants.
Sitting is the fabulous high-backed animal print chair
at Cioppino in the Strip District. Cardigan, lace trim camisole,
cross-hatch pants, orange leather perforated shoes and
crystal chandelier earnings, all Ann Taylor. Steel vintage flower
bracelet, a gift from Juanita Lewis- grand-mom   
Mixing black and white patterns is a great place to start. If you dare to try, start with simpler patterns to mix. If you don't quite have the courage to wear the patterns on the outside like I have, try a patterned bottom and a shell or tank, with a black or white cardigan.  When you add the accessories you can either keep it in the color scheme or use them to add a pop of color. I do believe black and white with a pop of color has become my mantra for the season. While out with girlfriends at Cioppino in the Strip District I met a lovely woman who was wearing a great black and white top. Me being me of course approached and asked her wear she got her outfit.
With Chris after having a laugh and showing
off her outfit and fantastic leggings to my
girlfriends, at Cioppino in the Strip
I learned that her name is Chris, she's a mom from Monroeville, and she shops at JCPenney. She was gracious enough to take a photo with me. Intrigued the following day I took a look at the website www.jcpenney.com and found some great stuff. You don't have to break the recession bank to look great. Though I could not find Chris's great tunic top, I did find some other cool things. Here are some of my pics from stores in Pittsburgh easily accessible from all areas of the city, including JCPenney.
Equipment 'signature' sheer silk shirt
Nordstrom $218
Striped Georgette gathered-waist blouse
Ann Taylor $78
Worthington Side-ruched top
JCPenney  $16

Liz Claiborne ruffled top
JCPenney $20

No comments:

Post a Comment